Monday, October 27, 2014

My Brother


     With the beginning of my brother AJ's mission approaching, and the transfer of one of my closest companions Elder Hansen, this post is dedicated to them.
     There is no word to replace the word brother. It represents more than just two people passing through life together. It means that you share an origin, and that puts you in a position to look out for them. Recently I've grown a liking for the story of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. After hearing the following quote from Elder Causse in conference, I've never thought of being a brother the same way. 
"A passage from the novel Les misérables illustrates how priesthood holders can treat those individuals viewed as strangers. Jean Valjean had just been released as a prisoner. Exhausted by a long voyage and dying of hunger and thirst, he arrives in a small town seeking a place to find food and shelter for the night. When the news of his arrival spreads, one by one all the inhabitants close their doors to him. Not the hotel, not the inn, not even the prison would invite him in. He is rejected, driven away, banished. Finally, with no strength left, he collapses at the front door of the town’s bishop.
The good clergyman is entirely aware of Valjean’s background, but he invites the vagabond into his home with these compassionate words:
“‘This is not my house; it is the house of Jesus Christ. This door does not demand of him who enters whether he has a name, but whether he has a grief. You suffer, you are hungry and thirsty; you are welcome. … What need have I to know your name? Besides, before you told me [your name], you had one which I knew.’
“[Valjean] opened his eyes in astonishment.
“‘Really? You knew what I was called?’
“‘Yes,’ replied the Bishop, ‘you are called my brother.’”
     I was once the prodigal son returning home. I felt so undeserving to be a brother to my fantastic siblings. How I was received by my brother AJ emulates the response of the Bishop in the story, and the response that Jesus Christ has for us when we repent. When I arrived back in Seattle a year and a half ago, I expected to be shunned, cast out, and condemned. I walked to the baggage terminal alone, without home and without friend, my brother AJ opened his arms to me with complete forgiveness in his heart. There was no resentment for the shame I might have brought to him, there was no judgement in the wrongs I might have done, he just loved me. I am so grateful for the time I was gifted with to be with him while I was home. Especially now that he is leaving for 2 years, and it will have been almost 4 when I do see him again. Some of my favorite memories are of sitting in his room teaching him the principles of "Preach My Gospel," and sharing with him the glory of being a missionary. I have dreams of meeting him at train stations and telling him to remember to love people, and to be bold! I am just so excited for him to become the close brother of so many more people in this world.
     Elder Hansen is a great missionary, but he is an even greater brother. Yesterday we went around to visit all the people we have gotten close to the past 6 weeks, and hearts were broken to learn that he is leaving today. I don't think that affection comes out of mere respect or friendship, but out of a closeness that develops from brotherly care and kindness. We have continued to teach the 21 year old mother of 4 children the lessons. This past week while teaching the Plan of Salvation the spirit was so hard to be felt! We gave her the straight doctrines without applying them to her needs, and the kids were being crazy in the background. Afterwards we felt devastated because this Sister means a lot to us, and we want to provide her with the best opportunity possible to accept the gospel. We want to be better brothers. Every week we work out with a man that reminds me a lot of my coach Dersely, and my best friend Luke. These are also brothers that I have been blessed to be close with. Last night we talked with this man and his adorable family about Christ and the atonement, I felt the spirit so strongly. I will miss that level of care and consideration my companion has, but I am so excited for him to continue to serve in his new assignment!
     There are so many people to be loved, and so few willing to give of themselves to be a true brother or sister. My challenge to you this week is to put your arm around someone and be their brother. "Now behold, this (Elder AJ Lim) was a man who had been with (Elder John Lim) in the more part of all his battles; and he was a man like unto (Elder John Lim), and they rejoiced in each other’s safety; yea, they were beloved by each other, and also beloved by all the people of (God). Alma 53:2

No comments:

Post a Comment