Monday, November 3, 2014

Saved

Where does it say the words, "Plan of Salvation" in the Bible? It Doesn't! That matter of fact struck me really hard when President Cooke was teaching us about the Plan of Salvation. Knowing the path of our existence is the most important thing we could ever learn about! I guess I've taken for granted that knowledge that has been passed down to me by my parents from when I was young. That knowledge culminated in my experience going through the temple for myself, and learning about the great necessity for salvation and the need of a redeemer to make it possible. This week I learned that I need to find common ground with people to help them understand what God's plan for their happiness is.
"O how great the plan of our God! For on the other hand, the paradise of God must deliver up the spirits of the righteous, and the grave deliver up the body of the righteous; and the spirit and the body is restored to itself again, and all men become incorruptible, and immortal, and they are living souls, having a perfect knowledge like unto us in the flesh, save it be that our knowledge shall be perfect." 2 Nephi 9:13

My sentiments are the same. The plan of redemption is so wonderful, I am glad that I won't be lost to God and my family forever because of Jesus Christ. My new companion Elder Jacob Peterson is a veteran missionary from Mesa, Arizona. I was in DC 3rd Ward when his trainer found out he would be training him. He is the best singer I've ever heard, and has a genuine love for every person that we meet. He is so converted to the gospel, there isn't a single person he isn't willing to go out of his way to share it with. The other night we were walking out of a rehabilitation center and he contacted the EMTs parked out front, AWESOME! We also recently got a new Ward mission leader named Geoffery Heath. He was recently released from serving as a stake high counselor. Yesterday we had our first coordination meeting together, and that was a powerful instructive moment for me. We talked about a couple that are progressing towards baptism, and they helped me to realize that there was a lot more preparation to be done to help them truly be ready to enter into the covenant of baptism. We laid out a plan to help them progress, discussing the kind of experiences they would need to have and commitments that they would need to keep. I felt like my purpose finally became clear. I'm not just here to help people to go through the ordinance of baptism, but to prepare them for the path of salvation. That path is long and difficult, and we can help them be ready to travel it. It's been over two years that I've been a missionary, and I'm still just starting to figure things out. But I love the I journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment