Monday, September 29, 2014

Ways to Grow, Ways to Go!

    Read this talk given by Elder Boyd K. Packer in March 2002... https://www.lds.org/new-era/2009/06/the-20-mark-note?lang=eng I met Elder David A. Bednar's companion at the time of this experience! His name is Brother Smith and he lives in the White Plains 2nd Ward. He asked us what our favorite experience from our missions are and I shared a few, then he started telling this story about when he worked in the mission office and Elder Packer visited the mission, and I realized I had heard the story in conference before! It really brought the humanity of the apostles into perspective for me. They are truly ordinary men. They've been called to do something for the Lord, and it is truly the Lord working through them to help them do extraordinary things.
     Yesterday we got to know this couple from Fresno that were invited over for dinner by one of the members of the ward. They are very faithful Christians and have the most adorable family. He is a police officer here in DC and has such a cool story. He inspired me to be better at working out, just like my coach used to do! We talked about families and the temple, and I love to share the testimony that I've gained of how the restored gospel blesses families. It's truly made a difference in my own, and I'm so happy to share that with any family that I get a chance to.
     We have great goals as a mission. We want to work towards helping as many people come unto Christ as possible. I want to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to help bless and inspire others, but I often feel like it's a job bigger than I have capacity to accomplish. I think that's just the nature of the responsibilities we are called to do as disciples of Jesus Christ. But I believe that it is through our faith and trust in Him that we are able to overcome our weaknesses, and do great things. Just like I could have never learned to do a Ring routine without my coach lifting me up, we can't do the Lord's will without His help. Let's try and find out how we can better do that this weekend at conference!



No comments:

Post a Comment