Monday, September 15, 2014

Farewell Patuxent

     I love this Ward so much!!! They have been the greatest examples to me of faith, and devotion to hastening the Lord's work of salvation. Their love for The Lord makes me want to be more faithful and dedicated in my missionary service. It's so hard to be transferred. Reflecting back on this transfer there are several lessons that I will not forget.
     This past week we were on exchange on Friday with the Lexington Park Elders and we got a call from one of the leaders in charge of a stake youth activity. There was an unanticipated rain storm timed for the following day that would rain out their planned kickball game. She wanted us to hold a youth missionary activity for groups of the youth that they could do indoors. I was more than happy to take the invitation to help out, but I was really nervous about putting on a good activity for the youth. We planned to teach them about teaching the gospel to people, rather than just giving lessons. At the end of each session, we had them group teach a single investigator. I was blown away by how well the youth did at teaching principles of the gospel and asking inspired questions. It was better than role plays that I saw in the MTC! The Lord is truly raising up the greatest generation of people the Earth has yet seen, we should look forward to the great things that they will accomplish.
      Afterwards, I got the chance to talk with the former Bishop of the ward I'm serving in. I asked him a few simple questions about his service in the church and he spoke of what he has learned of the atonement and of leadership. In a conference with an apostle, he learned that the time put into a mission can only be comparable to 72 years of attending a 3 hour church block every single sunday. He told me how he had seen disciplinary councils change lives for the better and how he witnessed the atonement literally change people. That strengthens my testimony that there truly is a way for us to overcome weaknesses and trials in our lives. I think we should take the time to talk about those lessons learned during our church service with others. I really appreciated those things that Bishop shared with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment