Monday, September 8, 2014

Something Meaningful

     The greatest blessing in being a leader is the opportunity to get to know and love the people that you serve. I love going on companionship exchanges with the Elders in my district because it is the best chance I have to do just that. On Friday evening we tried to ride our bikes a few miles to an area we might be able to knock doors. We only got 200 yards when Elder Clemon's brand new front axle popped and we had to walk our bikes back to the car. We had gotten a referral that day from Church Headquarters, but it turned out to be an electronic technology research company.. We had about 20 minutes left for the evening so we went looking for one of the members that we've never met before. We don't have his apartment number so we started knocking all the doors in the building to try and find him. We didn't find him, but we talked to this couple from the Caribbean. They attend a nearby Christian church and love to study the bible. He explained how he likes to emphasize that the most important commandment to love God and love your neighbor. Earlier in the week I read in Preach my Gospel on page 39 that when we introduce the Book of Mormon we should begin by giving a brief overview and sharing a passage that is meaningful to you. I opened up the Book of Mormon to 2 Nephi 31:19-20 "And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." I think they were surprised how this passage is so centered on Christ. It also mentions how important it is to press on with a love of God and of all men, that scripture is even more meaningful to me now.
     I am so excited for my brother AJ to serve the people in Nicaragua. I know that there are people prepared to receive the gospel, and that his talents are specially needed to serve the people that live there. I think what makes things meaningful to us are how closely they relate to our lives and our circumstances. The repentant loves to learn of forgiveness, the person who has lost their dear friend will love the resurrection. What is meaningful to you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment