Monday, March 31, 2014

A Colorful Week

This week has been filled with so many colorful experiences. At the beginning of the week I felt a deep sorrow. I tried to help one of our investigators find dental help. She was in so much pain because of her tooth infection that she couldn't do much else other than try to cope with the pain. She said that she cannot sleep through the night because it hurts so much. We gave her a priesthood blessing on a bench in a park, and then looked for a member of the church that might be able to help her. I found one member in a nearby ward, and put them in contact. But it turned out they were unable to help and it ended up costing our friend more money. Apparently it's very hard for her to get along here as a school teacher. She says in China medical work is so cheap to get done. The doctors have a list of procedures with prices and you just pick which one you want! Pulling a tooth there would cost $10 while it costed her $300 here. She isn't returning to China for a few months so she is just trying to make it by. I really wanted to help her, but wasn't able to. That made me sad. On the other hand I we got to teach a lot of new people this week! There is this couple that I met when I first came on my mission, that attended the first baptism we had and then a lot of church meetings after that. I guess that is one of the advantages of having been in the same area for a while, I know where a lot of the people are! I had one of the most tender experiences of my mission yesterday. Even though you always have your companion with you on your mission, it's still easy to feel alone. Your family is far away, you don't see your friends, it can be very isolating. But as I was waiting to pass the Sacrament with the deacons, I sat with the president of the quorum and just started talking to him about 12 year old things, and I didn't even notice my arm was behind him just like I like to do when I sit next to my little brothers. Then his dad came over and sat on the opposite side of me. He commented on how it feels like I've known their family forever! He asked me how long I have left on my mission, and I told him I still get to be here for another year. He lit up and smiled and expressed how grateful he was for me and that I would be there for a while longer. I felt so loved, I felt true joy. It was a strong reminder to me that people around me are not just strangers. They are my heavenly family. And if we learn to love each other like Christ loves us, we will be so happy! Don't miss opportunities to put your arm around someone like Christ would, to tell them how much you love and appreciate them. It's heaven on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment