Monday, March 10, 2014

Good, Better, Best

 This Wednesday I get to do my first baptismal interview! That means I get to represent the Lord Jesus Christ, and determine a candidate's worthiness and readiness to be baptized. That's such a huge responsibility to me, it's such an amazing privilege for a 20 year old, I'm kinda nervous! But I am so grateful for all that God trusts me with, and I hope to be able to take care of His children the way that He would if He personally were here. I got to sit in council with other district leaders and talk about the current state of the missionary work in the zone that I serve. I felt like a part of the vision and goal for the work in the area. Something very important that I learned is that we will never be able to do all that can be done. There is always another person to help, a greater form of service we can offer, another degree we can obtain, a greater level of performance we can aspire to. If we view our efforts in this perspective, we will never reach a "done" point. A point where we just rest and can feel satisfied because everything is operating at full potential. The point that I learned is that we can still feel the same effect, if we just prioritize correctly. Put the best things first, the better things after, and then do all the good things that we can. I wish I could help people see their lives in this light! They say they have no time to do the best things. Reading scriptures, saying prayers, going to church. Spending time with your family, serving your neighbor, spreading the gospel. Concerning this subject, Jesus Christ taught this: "Behold the fowls of the air, for they sow not, neither do they reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." When I feel like I'm running in overdrive, and I can't possibly perform well the tasks I've been given to do, I stop. I cut out everything that I think I need to be doing and I open my Book of Mormon. I take time to kneel and talk with my Father, and everything works out better than I could have accomplished. I can run around frantically trying to make my English class work, knocking on more doors to try and get people to listen to me, or stay up all night reading Chinese. OR, I can put Heavenly Father first, and let Him take care of the rest. I challenge you to put the best things first.
Here's a 'good' thing! Learn the Lion dance ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment