Monday, March 24, 2014

歸向基督 - Come unto Christ

The greatest missionary in the history of life once said: "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." (Alma 26:27) 
I cannot describe the joy that fills my heart! Yesterday was one of  the best days of my entire life. Paul and Celia Feng followed the example of Jesus Christ and entered the waters of baptism together! It is so rare for a family to make that choice together! Yet their faith and love for Jesus Christ and each other brought them to act and receive this holy ordinance. I had the privilege of baptizing my good friend Paul. Even in his mid-seventies, he was willing to undergo the baptism by immersion. That's not so easy when your body is aged! His faith to proceed increased my faith. As I put him under the water and brought him up into his new life, I felt the love that the Savior has for him. That made me so happy! Then for some reason I could all of a sudden remember my own baptism 12 years ago. That feels like so long ago. It started a journey that brought me to where I am today. A prevalent theme that was discussed at the service was the difficulty of the journey ahead for this couple. The path of leading a faithful life is not easy in the least bit, but it is ever so rewarding! I feel so humbled that even though I've made mistakes and left that path, Christ provided a way for me to get back. My joy is far greater than any pain that I've felt. In a way I feel relieved for Paul and Celia, that through this act of faith they have obtained access to a great power that can bless their lives forever. I felt that even immediately after the service they seemed more solemn and holy. The other day Paul said that the day he met the missionaries at the library changed his life forever. It changed mine as well! Remember that we can each experience that miraculous change throughout our lives, as we take the steps to come unto Christ. Another Book of Mormon prophet said: "And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved." (Omni:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment