Monday, December 16, 2013

Using Christmastime to become more like Christ

I've found myself reflecting a lot on the things that I invite people to do. The most important suggestion that I ever give to people as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, is to become more like him. I ask them to do this not just because I think it's a good idea, or just because I think he lived the most exemplary human life, but because I know with all my heart that following Him has brought more peace, love, and true joy into my life than anything else. Gymnastics makes me happy when I finally get a new skill, playing the cello brings me peace when I finally master a song, hanging out with my parents and my brothers and sisters laughing about how we're going to eat mangos at my Dad's funeral brings love into my life. But nothing compares to the blessings that come when I learn how to be a more caring brother, a more humble worker, a more faithful servant, a virtuous man and so on. In 3 Nephi chapter 19, Christ  is with the surviving people of the Americas. After He teaches them the principles of salvation, words that couldn't even all be recorded, He goes aside and prays for the people. "And now Father, I pray unto thee for them, and also for all those who shall believe on their words, that they may believe in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one." That's my goal, during this special time of year.
This week there were so many miracles! I was finally able to talk about the gospel to this wife of a member who I personally have done many hours of service at their home over the course of my mission. We met this former investigator who's father purchased a copy of the Book of Mormon for her when she was in middle school. She has had a testimony of the book her entire life, and has so much faith! It just strengthened me to speak with her. The only thing keeping her from baptism is her husband who strongly opposes religion. I met this wonderful couple from Shanghai and Beijing, who have had 2 generations of teachers in their family. That is quite rare for the opposition that educators have faced in China. They are both doctors and very interesting to talk to and teach. Our branch had one of the best church activities I've been to! So many people came, even our investigator that just got into MIT with a full-ride scholarship! I love the people I'm meeting here, and  I'm trying to show them what Christ is like through example. We got a call from the VC on our way to an appointment saying that there was a Chinese family that wants to learn more about the gospel! So we raced down there! They said I smile a lot ;) I'm just so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment