Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mission Tour with Elder Packer


I cannot believe it is one week until Christmas! Today I've been in the field for a month. It has literally passed in the blink of an eye. I got to go to the temple today! All I can say is wow.. It's so big and beautiful! Truly a house of the Lord. Our session was full of missionaries and the mission president. I was hoping he could take me through for the first time.. And he did! That was truly special. So my interview with Elder Packer. President just picked 5 missionaries from different points in their missions and different programs. I guess I represented the fresh Elders. We of course started speaking about the language. He told me that when he left the MTC, his teacher told him that he had the worst spanish that the teacher had ever sent out! Later in life, Elder Packer served as president over a spanish speaking mission.. He said that you learn little by little, and then you hit a wall. I feel like I hit that wall last last Sunday. Where I felt like I didn't know anything. He told me that is the very point that you start breaking through, and fluency starts coming, so I  have hope! I got a lot out of that interview, it was such a privilege. I also got to talk to Sister Packer about working with members of the branch to help them develop teaching skills. I am concerned about our investigators not getting a lot out of church. The Packers told me that this new youth curriculum is centered around that purpose. Getting people to teach the way that we do, the way that the Savior would. That is really the only way that the Lord will direct the teaching of the Saints. So I'm really siked to implement that. On Saturday we found a golden family. He has a 3 year old son and a mother interested in learning english. I am so excited to start working with them and helping them receive the restored gospel. They mentioned that they have actually been searching for a church to join. So exciting! Our Christmas party was very fun. We had a lot of investigators there, and Elder Mclane was an angel that popped out of an attic door! I feel like I am more centered around Christ this December, than I ever have been before at the Christmas season. It's truly wonderful..

No comments:

Post a Comment