Monday, December 29, 2014

What think ye of the Christ?


     In the book of Matthew chapter 22 the political leaders of Jerusalem test Jesus with a few questions. The first being if they should give tribute to Caesar or to God, the next what happens with remarriages. The final questions asks what is the greatest of all the commandments. Then Jesus takes the opportunity to ask his own question, "What think ye of the Christ?" When President Cooke posed this question at our annual Christmas conference, I stopped to search my soul and find my own answer.
    Right now I live in one of the most politically active areas of the world. It seems like there are no bounds to the hypocrisy and deceit that engulfs the world around me. We try to avoid the news, but everyone is talking about the civil unrest and the terrible crimes that are committed. I remember when I was in northwest DC and I contacted a man on the district council and a woman that is an ambassador for the national government in the same day. This past week we didn't have very many opportunities to teach, but one person that I've been working with really took a turn south. In response to our challenge to investigate the Book of Mormon, they investigated websites that attack the church and the Book of Mormon. I can't say how much that hurt, it put my testimony to the test. Maybe that's why the word test is at the beginning of testimony because it is meant to be tested. You need only to turn to the scriptures to rebuild and remember the faith and testimony you once had. Elder Thornton pointed out something really profound.
     Last April Elder Packer shared his special testimony. He started by quoting Joseph Smith, "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!“For we saw him” (D&C 76:22–23). Their words are my words." I don't have a witness of the resurrected Lord that leads this church, but I know that Elder Packer does. I can trust that good man and the witness of the living prophets and apostles. That is what they are there for! They are here to teach us what we ought to think of the Christ, and what we should do in response to having that knowledge. We should think of Him as the only way that will lead us home back to our heavenly Father to live with our families eternally. We should be willing to submit to all the Lord's commands and ordinances to help us live that way. If Jesus Christ came in resurrected form to you this Christmas or New year and asked, what think ye of the Christ? What would you have to say to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment