Monday, June 9, 2014

The Lord's Hands

        "Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God? Know ye not that he hath all power, and at his great command the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll?" (Mormon 5:23)
        When something out of the ordinary happens in our life to bless us or the lives of others, I often hear people say how they recognize that God in His power worked to make that event occur. I have to admit; sometimes I have a hard time accepting that. I will sometimes think, well that was just luck, how could God have affected the circumstances you were in? This week I had a special experience that helped me to believe again that God is very aware of each one of us, and that He uses His power to both bless us and the people around us. I am probably one of the few missionaries with a parent from the Philippines that converted from Catholicism. Since moving to this area, the people I have connected with most are the Filipino community. I feel like I can relate with them very quickly and make a natural invitation to learn about the gospel.
        After checking on someone who was not home, we decided to just start walking down the street to try and find people to talk to. There was a man hacking at a huge tree with a small hatchet, and so we walked over and offered our help. My companion had strep at the time so I was the only one that could do some chopping. I was worried I might accidentally cut my tie in half or something! But it turned out that he and his family were from the Philippines, and they welcomed us to come back again! At our weekly basketball activity, one of the members in another ward brought his Filipino friends to come play! There was a wife and her daughter sitting off to the side, so after my game I went over to talk to them. They have been in the United States for about a year, and has been a devout Catholic her entire life. I began to share with her the story of the restoration of the gospel, and the story of my own father's conversion. She was so intrigued, and she admitted that she felt something was missing. She has been seeking after God in these trials she's encountered since moving here. I boldly told her that this church is what she is seeking for! 
        I know that the fullness of the gospel can help her and her family come closer to Christ in a complete way, it has so been with my family since my father embraced the restoration. I'm grateful for my roots, and how it qualifies me to be a special instrument in the Lord's hands, in that moment I truly felt like The Lord had planned it all out. Seek to be worthy of that all your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment