Monday, June 30, 2014

Down to California (MD)

At times we are confronted by challenges that we don't have any desire to pass through. I've experienced a few of those in this past week. I found out that I would be leaving the Seneca Ward. I had only been there for 6 weeks, and I had grown to love the people so much. I had family there, and I wanted to continue to serve them.  I felt that it wasn't fair that I needed to leave, but The Lord had other plans in mind and I always know that I can trust that He is working things out to help me learn and grow. I have been transferred to serve in the Patuxent Ward in southern Maryland. It is an entirely different world out here, and I was hesitant to have a good attitude about serving with all my heart again. But then I met the wonderful people! I have not met so many nice and loving people in my life! Even by those who reject and turn away from us, we are treated with respect. My companion is one of the most stalwart individuals I have ever met in my life, I can tell that we are going to be great friends. Right when we got to the apartment I found out that we needed to move in the next few days. I didn't even unpack at all, and right off the bat we had to spend many hours moving furniture and appliances. The apartment had been lived in for over 10 years, and the day that I come is the day that we needed to move! That was a lot of work, but we finally got everything shifted over to this nice brand new apartment. I woke up yesterday morning and had that feeling that I was on vacation because everything is so nice and clean. 
On Friday evening, we actually didn't finish moving everything until 7:30, and we had not eaten dinner yet. We wanted to just eat and call it a day, but my companion and I motivated each other to get on our white shirts and ties and get out to try and work the rest of the night. We started looking for the house of this less active member, and we just could not find it off the main road! I circled around at least three times, and it started getting late. So we pulled over and decided to knock on some doors to try and talk to people. The second door we knocked on we asked if we could share a message and the guy just steps out and says go ahead! He is a man of faith that has said many prayers in his life. He wasn't too much older than me, but I could tell he was roughed up a little bit. When he spoke with us, I could tell there was no guile in him. He was so genuine with us, and we had an awesome conversation. It would have been so easy to not work the rest of the night, but we just faced the challenge with faith, and we were blessed. I've been thinking about this scripture a lot. "And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you." (Mosiah 2:22) It's so simple, IF we trust in God and keep His commandments, THEN we will be blessed. Face your life with faith! And you will find joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment