Monday, November 18, 2013

Elder Zwick 和許多奇蹟

     What kind of difference can one man make? I have the deepest desire to be an influence for good. I feel like those kinds of things are what really matter in the long run. I'm not speaking of a few good acts, nor a slew of sacrifices, but a transformation into something or someone that can really help better the lives of others, and my family. I feel like that happens when I follow Jesus Christ -the supreme example of human existence, and when I help others to do the same. This week was so wonderful, I don't even know where to begin. Elder Zwick of the church leadership came to visit our mission. He shared the depth of the calamity in the Philippines. My heart aches for my suffering brothers and sisters. He told us of the miraculous evacuation of missionaries from the most heavily destroyed island. They were saved by exactly obeying their mission president. A companionship of sisters narrowly escaped by finding passage into an attic and then climbing to the roof, only to have to cling together and endure 180 mph winds. Elder Zwick promised me that if I followed the doctrine and counsel of my president, it would bless my life forever. What a strong man he is! Not only in stature, but in spirit as well. He inspired me with his words this weekend, speaking of this work that I'm doing is like a wave, a tsunami even. That we missionaries are to become the undertow to the wave. We need to be that influence that I've been thinking of. I can do this by following Christ, for He is the ultimate force for good. Becoming like him, is becoming that force.
     This week we were blessed to meet so many people, willing to listen to the words of the gospel. A couple from Shanghai staying with their member sister, a couple from Guangdong staying with a part member couple, a man taught by my trainer Elder Mclane over a year ago, a young man that decided not to meet with the missionaries anymore because he feels like there are more important things to focus on, a woman married to a member who has been trying to learn English to pass the citizenship test for 7 years. So many new friends! I know that following Jesus Christ and His prophet will bring them greater blessings than they can imagine. Yes, the path of anyone's life can be fulfilled with a good career, a prosperous family, or great accomplishment. But there is just no other way to obtain greater happiness, greater fulfillment, nor stronger family than to follow Jesus Christ and His living prophet. I love teaching so much! We taught this 11 year old this week about the young man unwilling to give up his riches to follow Christ. There he could simply understand that it's so much better, to leave the things of the world to the world, and take up a better road! I hope I can help all these people and more in my life, to influence them for good. The wish of a missionary -Elder Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment