Monday, March 2, 2015

The 18th Transfer

To say the very least, this week was an emotional roller coaster. Still recovering from the last snow storm, there were more snow days meaning our transportation was restricted again. Then my companion contracted strep throat! That means a few hours at a clinic and then many more hours of rest. Luckily I haven't gotten sick, we've been really careful to keep everything clean. Yesterday there was this freezing rain storm that covered everything including the roads with a quarter inch of ice. We were walking on the sidewalk on Connecticut and you have to walk over the snow banks on the side of the road. At one curb we discovered that it wasn't a snow bank but a six inch puddle so we got wet up to our ankles in freezing water! We learned that looks can be deceiving. Even something that looks ok to stand on could be a treacherous pool of freezing water! My most powerful experiences this week occurred on the weekend.
I've been waiting to hear back from BYU for several months now. Ever since I decided not to defer my enrollment I've regretted the decision. After going home, I felt that I had lost good chances of getting a good education. I trusted that God would help me to get to the best place that I could be, but I didn't know if that was where I hoped to be able to go to. When the admission decision came that I've been admitted to BYU, I was overcome with joy and gratitude. I don't feel like that's my accomplishment, but a tremendous blessing from Heavenly Father. I promised with Him that I would not let that blessing go in vain, I will do all that I can to do well in school and contribute back.
That evening President gave special permission to Elder Fuller and I to attend the Chinese Branch's New Year celebration! What a fantastic opportunity! I felt like I was going home to family. They had me lead the lion dance performance since this is my third year attending, and I felt like it was the best one yet! I got to see so many of the people that I have such great relationships with. I realized that at the beginning of my mission my vision for the branch was to help it increase in size. Instead of accomplishing that, by submitting to the will of the Lord I think I fulfilled an even greater mission. I became part of the branch family and served to the point that I can give my life and my heart to the members and to their cause.
Then the transfer call-out came. I expected to stay here in the  DC 2nd ward since I've only been here for six weeks, and I looked forward to the work that still needs to be done. I found out that I'm leaving! I can't express how confused and discouraged I was about that decision. How could I have accomplished or contributed anything substantial in such a short amount of time? I prayed for understanding and none came. The next day at Sacrament after telling one of the members the ruling, he immediately smiled and told me that I accomplished what I was supposed to here. I was filled with comfort as the spirit bore witness of that to me, I know that the Lord has a plan. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3)
My invitation this week is to trust that the Lord is preparing a path for each one of us to accomplish His purpose. As you go into this week and I go into this transfer, let's pray for understanding and seek to do His will!

No comments:

Post a Comment