Monday, January 26, 2015

Where we can grow



I didn't realize how comfortable I was getting in the White Plains 2nd ward until I attended the DC 2nd young single adult ward this past Sunday. I have been way out of my comfort zone this entire week. I was overwhelmed at church with the difference in the feel and culture of the ward, everyone is my age! It's weird talking to girls again and it's intimidating to talk to these great return missionaries. They all do so well at fellowshipping all that is required of me is to teach. The Ward is so amazing that people will just show up after hearing about it. There were two young adults from American University that just came to check it out, how cool is that? If every Ward was able to build such a dynamic congregation, I wouldn't be surprised if people in the community just showed up for church as well. Living in the district once again is a blast from the past, but I have an entirely different perspective now. I drive the streets I once rode my bike with Elder Synelnikov in our caravan, and I can almost see a young Elder Lim peddling up 14th street trying to keep up. We had to stop by several apartments and one of them is the very first one I lived in with Elder Mclane. The Washington DC zone has been such a big part of my mission life, it's good to be back where I began. I think I have come here because there are more ways that I need to grow, and I have to get out of my comfort zone to do that.

Last night we had a few extra minutes at the end of the night so we started making our way down to the metro to contact people. The First person we met was a visiting Japanese student that has been here for 3 months. She was so nice to us, but we couldn't communicate very well. So we called another missionary that speaks Japanese and got her info, it was so cool! Another reason I might have been sent here is to teach the new investigator we met this week. His name is Ivan and just moved here from Virginia. He has been in the U.S. for a few months and is originally from ShangHai! A Chinese person to teach in the district! He is one of the most choice Chinese people I have ever met and taught. He sincerely wants to learn the truth and come closer to God. A lot of times when I teach Chinese people it's just to satisfy their curiosity, I had a different feeling about this guy. Another extraordinary individual we met is a recent convert in the Ward from Sri Lanka. After many years of exposure to the church, Heavenly Father continued to reach out to him until he accepted the gospel. He is now the most passionate person about the gospel that I have ever met. He is infamous in the Ward for being a missionary and doing service for others. We all got emotional as he talks about bringing the gospel back to his home country. I can imagine both these men one day becoming significant leaders in the church.

I have so many plans and ideas for how I want to work this next transfer. My new companion's name is Elder Grant Fuller from Indianapolis. He is a great missionary that I have revered for a long time now. It's been so much fun to be his companion this week, I can tell we're going to do great work here. This week has been a shock to my system, but that's good for you! The Lord won't let us stop growing. 

That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day. D&C 50:24


No comments:

Post a Comment