Monday, August 4, 2014

Power in the Gospel

     When I look at this picture, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of joy and gratitude. These two men are so important to me, they have been my best friends through all the ups and downs of my life, they're my brothers! But from our childhood, they never liked each other. It always caused contention and my heart to ache, because I love both of them so much, I always wanted them to feel that for each other. They are both amazing individuals, and I wanted them to see that. I've prayed for their relationship for so many years. Imagine a family where their was brotherly love and kindness between every single member? That seemed like a goal worth working for to me. The problem is that it's not a natural thing. When you don't like someone, you don't like them and it's difficult to overcome how you criticize and dislike them. I think so many spouse and family relationships are torn apart because of this natural affect. But the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ has the power to change us. It has power to change the way that we see things through repentance, and power to change the way that we feel through the atonement of Christ. I've seen my own self change in these ways. This picture is a testimony to me that the gospel works for others as well. The fulness of the gospel has been restored and it blesses families, how it has blessed my dear family.
I have an even greater urgency and determination to share the gospel now and throughout my whole life. We had a great opportunity to teach a devout baptist this last week. We scheduled to practice teaching a lesson to a member family, and decided to do some finding in the area while we waited for the time to arrive to head over there. The first door we knocked the man stepped outside and was willing to hear us out. He accepted the challenge to read the Book of Mormon, and I gave him 2 Nephi 31 to study, which talks about baptism, I don't know why I felt to give him that scripture. He told us we could come back, so we went about trying to find someone in the neighborhood that might come with us. The member that we taught in the evening had home teaching the day that the appointment was scheduled, but he suggested another member down the street, that we hadn't even thought about. We went over to ask if he would join us and he was happy to do it! It was perfect because this baptist's wife is Japanese, and the member's wife served her mission in Japan! They got along so well, and we had an amazing conversation about the restoration of the gospel. He is going to Japan to visit his wife's family for a few weeks, but we'll definitely be seeing him when he returns.
Saturday we got to go to the Washington Nationals baseball game as a mission. For the first time I felt like I was home with the entire mission there, because I've gotten to know so many more missionaries over the past year. Last year I knew only a handful of other missionaries. I love this mission so much, and I'm grateful for all the great men and women that I've gotten to meet and serve with. I am most grateful for my companion Elder Fisher. Though he is a relatively new missionary, I have learned more from and with him than I've learned as a missionary. I'm going to miss him this next transfer, but I know he will do great things for this mission throughout his service. The gospel brings such great blessings into our lives. Hold to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment