Monday, February 24, 2014

蒙召喚去服務!



The call to serve often comes at a time when it is not convenient. When natural instincts direct you to turn inwards and just take care of yourself. When you are rushing to an appointment and an elderly Chinese lady is struggling to carry a large bag of rice. When you're having an especially rough day, but someone else's day has been equally difficult or even more discouraging, and all they need is your smile. When you have one last chance to hang out with your big sister but a single mother needs help moving all her and her children's belongings into a new home. When all your high school class are starting degrees and the prophet says go on a mission. It sounds like I'm echoing the sermon of a modern day apostle last general conference (President Eyring), but I'm finding this principle to be true. This week I was called to serve as a leader for several companionships in the Bethesda-Potomac-Southern Gaithersburg area, possibly one of the wealthiest communities in the United States. I didn't expect that at all, I feel like I'm barely figuring out how to lead the missionary work with all the Chinese people in Montgomery County/ DC. Regardless of my readiness, this is what The Lord wants me to do. Every single day we will encounter opportunities to turn outward, when it is easier to turn inwards and just "mind our own business." The truth of the matter is, "if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for ALL things must fail-- But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him." (Moroni 7:46-47) Respond with faith to the call to serve! In our Sunday School class at church yesterday, we had 2 very special Chinese nonmember friends attend our lesson on service. They shared excellent input on the effects of service on the spirit and on society. Through service we increase our ability to love. We become less selfish. When I was growing up, my Dad's constant effort to teach my brothers AJ, Antonio and I to respond to the call to serve has had such an affect on us. Imagine how many problems in society we could solve with this simple principle. All forms of immorality and the destruction of the family would suffocate by charity. May it be our watchword and our guide! Serve. (服務)

1 comment:

  1. Elder Lim, this blog post brought tears to my eyes. I am so impressed with the ways that you and your brothers and sister reflect the teachings you learned in your home. I am praying for your continued success in your mission.

    ReplyDelete